CHOCOLATE OREO CUPCAKES: “Please don’t fiddle with the Oreo middle . . . .” Well, we couldn’t help it! Chocolate and ginger are best friends, and the splashes of Big O in this recipe add a wonderful new dimension to this Oreo-inspired little delight.
CHOCOLATE OREO CUPCAKES
Published on December 16, 2019 | By Gary Kuper |
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Big O ginger liqueur
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules optional
- Oreo Cupcake Fluff Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powered sugar (whip until smooth)
- Container of Cool Whip
- 21 mini Oreos.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until well combined.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and Big O ginger liqueur and mix until just combined.
- Add the instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules to the 1/2 cup boiling water and mix until fully dissolved.
- Add to the mixing bowl and mix until everything is just combined. The batter will be thin.
- Evenly distribute the batter between cupcake liners, making sure to just fill each one a little over halfway full.
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Instructions for Oreo Cupcake Fluff Frosting:
- Combine in a bowl: 1/2 cup butter, 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup powered sugar (whip until smooth).
- Fold in a container of Cool Whip.
- Fold in 20 crushed mini Oreos.
- Pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a mini Oreo.